The School of Transborder Studies (STS) at Arizona State University invites applications for a tenure track position as Assistant Professor in Transborder Culture, Applied Linguistics, Bilingualism and Learning. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing a research and teaching program within this emphasis and in designing curriculum around issues of applied linguistics and bilingual development. We seek an individual who specializes in cross-cultural learning, bilingual development, language and schooling, and whose primary strength lies in a sociocultural framework. Anticipated start date is August 16, 2014.
The School of Transborder Studies is an interdisciplinary academic teaching and research unit at ASU’s Tempe campus that focuses on the U.S./Mexico borderlands and seeks to endow students with the knowledge and skills to make transformative contributions to their communities and society in general. Visit http://sts.asu.edu/ to learn more about the School of Transborder Studies.
The successful candidate will be expected to conduct research of the direct educational needs of changing local, state, regional, and transnational demographics; teach specialized knowledge to students for the application of quantitative and qualitative knowledge; develop an international public policy capacity for research and application in conjunction with other university programs and centers and equally with Mexican counterparts; contribute to the development of an academic mechanism of articulation between ASU and regional and transnational institutions; and design research and application programs focused on enhancing the preK-16 educational pipeline of children of the transborder region.
- Ph.D. with a specialization in applied linguistics, bilingualism, biculturalism, language and cognitive development in bilingual-bicultural settings of Spanish speaking children in a transborder context.
- Record of or potential for excellence in scholarly research
- Research focus on Southwest populations and specifically on Spanish speaking and Mexican origin populations.
- Evidence of an active, extramurally funded research program
- Record of excellence in instruction
- Involvement with community-based research schools and initiatives
- Ability to teach and write in Spanish
To apply, please send:
1) a detailed letter of application describing how the applicant’s training and experience match both the required and desired qualifications in research, teaching, and service
2) detailed curriculum vita
3) the names and contact information of three individuals who will act as references.
Application materials should be sent electronically as either Word or PDF documents to Irma Arboleda, (Arboleda@asu.edu), Assistant Director, School of Transborder Studies, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ 85287-6303.
The deadline for applications is December 30, 2013, if not filled, reviews will occur on every subsequent Monday and Friday thereafter until the search is closed. A background check is required for employment.
Arizona State University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer committed to excellence through diversity. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Please see ASU’s complete non-discrimination statement at https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/.